The History ofGrant’s Farm
Grant’s Farm has been in the Busch family since 1903. There are many illustrious people and milestones that make up the property’s history. The roots of Grant’s Farm go deep, as does the love and care the Dent, Grant and Busch families have all shared for this special place.
Colonel Frederic Dent, father-in-law of General and President Ulysses S. Grant, purchases the White Haven property in St. Louis County.
Ulysses S. Grant and his wife Julia begin to build Grant's Cabin near White Haven. They call it Hardscrabble because of its unattractive looks.
August Anheuser Busch Sr., President CEO of Anheuser-Busch, purchases the Dent / Grant property.
Cyrus G. Blanke, president of the C.F. Blanke Tea & Coffee Company of St. Louis, acquires Grant's Cabin for $8000 to display his products at the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair.
August Sr. purchases Grant's Cabin and moves it to Grant's Farm. Today, the Cabin stands approximately 1 mile south from its original location.
Construction of the German-style Bauernhof, the first permanent building on Grant's Farm begins.
After her husband August Sr. passes, Alice Busch builds the "Cottage" to spend her later years.
August Jr., known as Gussie, and his Swiss-born wife Trudy reopen the Big House as their primary residence.
With the support of Gussie, Anheuser-Busch opens Grant's Farm to the public. The company introduces the tradition of complimentary beer sample for guests of age.
Five members of the Busch family assume operations of Grant's Farm from Anheuser-Busch to continue the family legacy at this historic property. Doug Stagner becomes the first president of Grant's Farm.
Anheuser-Busch becomes the premier partner of Grant's Farm.
Grant's Farm celebrates its 120-Year Anniversary of being owned by the Busch Family and part of the St. Louis landscape.